second grade Music at ILE
Here are some of the great tools we are using in class. Gina videos and you can use the staff paper to draw some clef signs!
Student goals in second grade are:
- Pitch – Be able to identify, read, notate and perform do-re-mi-so-la notes. Be able to sing tunes, songs, intervals and melodic passages in tune. Be able to identify, read and notate the letter names of notes on the treble clef.
- Tempo – Be able to follow, maintain and establish fast, medium and slow tempo. Be able to show beat through movement. Be able to conduct 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4 patterns.
- Rhythm – Be able to distinguish, identify, read, notate and perform whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, quarter rest and sixteenth notes, both in isolation and within the context of a song.
- Dynamics – Be able to distinguish between, identify, and produce soft, medium and loud sounds and voice. Be familiar with the terms piano, forte, mezzo piano and mezzo forte. Be able to identify and perform a crescendo.
- Movement – Be able to clap, move, and dance while singing.
- Harmony – Be able to clap, sing or play (on Orff instruments) harmonic accompaniments and ostinato patterns. Be able to sing rounds.
- Form – Be able to recognize forms and patterns in songs.
- Improvisation – Be able to improvise using known rhythmic and melodic elements. Be able to create movement that reflects focused listening.
- Expression - Be able to produce moods and emotions through singing and musical performance.
- Cultural Diversity and Heritage - Learn songs from a variety of different cultures and heritages.